Communications Programs Associate – WriterDeadline: March 21, 2018
Type: Part Time
Level: Junior Level
Function: Communications, Program
Organization: The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
New York, New York
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building and philanthropic advocacy programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights.
Visit Web Site
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Drafting written materials, including eblasts, funding asks, newsletters, co-written pieces, press releases and website copy for News and grantee partner stories.
● Supporting the Communications Director in the creation and execution of Reports, including the Annual Report.
● Working with Program Officers to write analyses highlighting the issues we support like Anti-criminalization and Freedom from Violence, Intersex Human Rights and Trans Human Rights.
● Developing donor and grantee partner spotlights (based on interviews and existing content) that showcase the frontline communities and organizations we support, and the need for continued resourcing to fuel the movement.
● Creating PR engagement and op-ed pieces profiling Astraea (and grantee partners), tailored to press thematics and tactical times of year.
● Reviewing grantmaking materials, including dockets, strategies and stories in order to write compelling content that uplifts the issues and work of our constituents.
● Working with Program team to develop a bank of grantee stories and programmatic updates, and translate these stories into written pieces.
● Working with Communications Officer to issue statements and engage with Astraea target audiences and further our mission.
Skills and Qualifications
● Experience with social justice philanthropy, LGBTQI issues and U.S. & international contexts strongly preferred. A history of writing on LGBTQI issues within an intersectional framework.
● Ability to take complex, detailed information and distill it into an accessible and approachable writing style.
● Excellent listening, writing, editing, and communication skills, including the ability to determine and adopt the appropriate writing style for various mediums and/or audiences.
● Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines while maintaining consistent attention to detail.
● Proactive and collaborative, with an ability to see projects through to the end, and build community while doing it.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume/CV, writing samples that best demonstrate the required skills, and salary requirements to email@example.com or apply via our website at www.astraeafoundation.org by Wednesday, March 14th, 2018.
No phone calls, please – only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted.
This is an exciting opportunity to uplift and amplify the voices of the LGBTQI movements Astraea supports, with a focus on intersectional analysis and establishing Astraea as a thought leader in LGBTQI philanthropy. Use your writing skills to centre LGBTQI, poc, feminist organizations and issues to build a more just world.
We are seeking a committed, analytical and collaborative writer to work in the Communications and Programs teams. The writer will work closely with the Communications and Program Directors (60/40) to identify stories and content areas that propel the work of Astraea and our grantee partners forward. You would attend Program Team and Communications Team meetings and the work plan goals and objectives would be guided by the work plan of both teams.
The position intends to create more openings to reflect on the work we support, making Astraea’s insight, analysis and support for LGBTQI grassroots organizing accessible and available to a wide audience. This position is responsible for developing content written in an accessible, practical and conversational style, that engages with donors, grantee partners and the wider LGBTQI philanthropic community.