Grants ManagerDeadline: March 14, 2018
Type: Full Time
Level: Senior Level
Organization: The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc.
New York, NY
With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Kampala, ELMA Philanthropies develops program strategies, identifies and explores grant and other investing opportunities, monitors investment performance, and establishes philanthropic relationships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. This Group includes The ELMA Foundation, The ELMA Relief Foundation, The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation, The ELMA Music Foundation, The ELMA Growth Foundation, and The ELMA South Africa Foundation. ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is currently active across eastern and southern Africa.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s mission is to provide philanthropic assistance to organizations in South Africa, the UK, and the USA that either provide music education to underprivileged children and youth or provide assistance to members of the music community who undergo personal and financial hardship.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
Visit Web Site
Commensurate with experience
Excellent benefits package
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead grants management across ELMA’s four offices to ensure compliance with financial, legal, and requirements
• Oversee processes and procedures for gathering, retaining, updating, and sharing grants data and knowledge
• Oversee the generation of grant reports and dashboards for the ELMA’s Board of Directors, senior management, and the Foundations we serve
• Oversee ELMA’s contract with our grants management software provider
• Train new staff on grants management system usage and grants management processes and procedures, and provide ongoing support and guidance to all staff on system usage and workflow
• Effectively manage the Grants Assistant to ensure s/he performs to the best of their ability
• Coordinate closely with the Director of Measurement and Evaluation to establish, refine, and manage outcomes tracking tools and processes
• Drive workflow process improvements and efficiency gains while balancing existing responsibilities
• Ensures ELMA is up-to-date on current best practices in grants administration and grants management software
Skills and Qualifications
• 5 – 7 years of experience in grants management at a grant making foundation
• Experience and passion for working with organizations serving children and communities in Africa
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
• Working knowledge of online grants management systems; experience with GIFTS Online grants management system preferred but not required
• Strong computer and software proficiency, and interest and ability in learning new applications quickly
• Exceptional administrative and organizational skills; detail-oriented
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Committed to excellence, diversity, and impact
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements and feel equipped for this challenging position please submit your CV, a cover letter and details of three contactable referees in confidence to ELMAjobs@elmaphilanthropies.org with Grants Manager in subject line by 23 February 2018.
The ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Based in New York City and reporting to the Vice President of Program Administration, the Grants Manager will lead ELMA’s grants and knowledge management. S/he will work closely with ELMA’s program team, measurement and evaluation, finance, and legal departments, as well as senior management to ensure effective reporting, retention and sharing of grants information and other data and knowledge across the ELMA organization. Supported by a Grants Assistant, she will oversee ELMA’s online grants management system (GIFTS Online) and support staff on how to use it. The Grants Manager plays a critical role in ensuring effective and efficient philanthropic operations at ELMA. S/he will be joining a collaborative and dynamic team. The ability to be a self-starter and team player is essential to success in this role. ELMA seeks to fill this critical role immediately.