Senior Consultant, Strategic Learning and EvaluationDeadline: March 20, 2018
Type: Full Time
Level: Senior Level
Boston, San Francisco, or Seattle,
FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. Through strategy, evaluation, and research we help many types of actors – individually and collectively – make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
Our teams work across all sectors by partnering with leading foundations, businesses, nonprofits and governments in every region of the globe. We seek to reimagine social change by identifying ways to maximize the impact of existing resources, amplifying the work of others to help advance knowledge and practice, and inspiring change agents around the world to achieve greater impact.
The Senior Consultant, SLE position is open for FSG’s Boston, San Francisco, or Seattle office. This is a full-time role. We offer a competitive and equitable compensation package with the goal of attracting and retaining exceptional people. Salary bands are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting bands for each role. We also offer a generous benefits package including: health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG, three weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, cell phone stipend, disability and life insurance, and more. Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our US offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
The Senior Consultant position offers opportunity for advancement, pending performance, to the following roles within FSG’s consulting team: Associate Director, Director, and Managing Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Strategic Learning and Evaluation (SLE) team, led by Managing Director Hallie Preskill, offers a full array of evaluation-related services:
- Designing and implementing developmental, formative, and summative evaluations; strategic reviews; and retrospectives, using a range of approaches and data collection methods, and with a focus on communicating results in ways that facilitate learning and action
- Developing organization and program-wide strategic learning and evaluation systems that provide a framework and implementation plan
- Acting as a learning partner to help organizations develop actionable learning agendas, become a learning organization, and align monitoring, research, and evaluation activities with their strategy
- Providing training, webinars, coaching, and technical assistance to build evaluation capacity of clients’ internal and external stakeholders, including grantees
- Advancing knowledge in the field through research, tools, guides, reports, and articles
The Senior Consultant will be a critical member of the SLE team and will work on a variety of evaluation and learning projects. The Senior Consultant will:
- Contribute to and independently lead modules of client work as a team member on a wide range of evaluation and learning projects
- Co-facilitate internal and external evaluation capacity building activities (e.g., serve as internal evaluation ambassador to other teams)
- Advance the intellectual capital of the firm by supporting the creation of articles, publications, and blog posts through research, writing, and editing
- Take an active role in developing FSG’s internal culture, knowledge, and systems (e.g., serving on internal task forces)
- Support the professional development of team members through informal coaching and mentorship
Skills and Qualifications
- Approximately 4 – 7 years of experience designing and implementing different types of evaluations, designing and facilitating learning activities, and developing evaluation frameworks and systems in the philanthropic sector; evaluation experience in the area of education is preferred
- A graduate degree that included courses in research and evaluation data collection and analysis methods preferred
- Evaluation content knowledge acquired through formal training and / or education in evaluation
- Strong quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis skills (e.g., ability to use SPSS, experience with Dedoose or other qualitative data analysis programs)
- Experience facilitating participatory and collaborative learning-oriented evaluations
- Experience designing agendas and facilitating meetings and / or learning sessions
- Significant consulting experience (e.g., as an independent consultant, working for a consulting firm, or as an internal consultant); ability to multitask and bring robust time-management skills in a fast-paced, client services environment
- Ability to work in environments involving complexity and systems change, and to adapt evaluations accordingly
- Strong, self-directed project management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team
- Passion for social change and demonstrated commitment to working in the social sector
- Experience considering and applying equity and inclusion principles strongly preferred
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills; presentation experience strongly preferred
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint; ability to use Excel to create charts, graphs, and pivot tables preferred
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally up to 20-30% of the time (travel requirement varies by project)
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter (indicating office preference) and your resume via our online application system. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.