What to Read Before Funding Forward 2017Published: March 22, 2017
Author(s): Andrew Wallace
Funding Forward 2017 is just around the corner and we are eager to welcome over 200 funders and movement leaders to Seattle – our largest convening yet! As we put the finishing touches on a full program of plenaries and workshops we wanted to give you a taste of some of the issues featured this year. Check out these links for articles, videos, and other content submitted by FF17 presenters. Enjoy!
LGBTQ Assets And Opportunities In The Northwest
- Check out our latest infographic detailing LGBTQ funding in the region.
- Tribal Equality Toolkit 2.0: Tribal Resolutions and Codes to Support Two-Spirit and LGBT Justice in Indian Country provides a comprehensive vision for ensuring equality in tribal communities.
Voices of Orlando: How Philanthropy and Community Unified in Response to the Pulse Tragedy Targeting LGBTQ People of Color
- Marco Antonio Quiroga writes about the philanthropic response to the Orlando tragedy in this article on the NCRP blog.
Local And National Strategies To Build The Movement To #Endyouthhomelessness
- This fact sheet from A Way Home America – a national initiative to build the movement to prevent and end homelessness among young people – offers an overview of youth homelessness and this project overview highlights initiative accomplishments.
A Progressive Vision For Religious Freedom: Reclaiming The Narrative & Norms On Religious Exemptions
- This short video from the ACLU explains why Religious Freedom Shouldn’t Be A License To Discriminate.
- Newsweek reports on the latest wave of religious freedom bills in states across the country in “Religious Freedom Efforts: Next Front Opens In Battle On Gay Marriage.”
Ending Youth Prisons: Why It Matters For LGBTQ Youth Of Color
- This guide from NCLR and Impact Justice – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Questioning, and/or Gender Nonconforming and Transgender Girls and Boys in the California Juvenile Justice System: A Practice Guide – provides an overview of research and practices in the field.
Addressing Disparities in the Bisexual Community
- Invisible Majority: The Disparities Facing Bisexual People and How to Remedy Them, a recent report from the Movement Advancement Project, offers an in-depth policy and issue analysis.
Winning at the Intersections: Opportunities for Funding in LGBTQ Rights and Reproductive Justice
- Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice offers an intersectional vision for advancing the reproductive justice movement in A New Vision for Advancing our Movement for Reproductive Health, Reproductive Rights, and Reproductive Justice.
Unpacking the “I”: How to Fund Intersex Activism
- The Astraea Foundation for Lesbian Justice examined the global intersex movement in We Are Real: The Growing Movement Advancing the Rights of Intersex People and took a closer look at funding in the 2016 Intersex Organizing and Funding Survey.
- Buzzfeed reports on What It’s Like To Be Intersex in this short video.
- InterAct Advocates for Intersex Youth created this helpful media guide and this Intersex 101: Everything You Want to Know! resource.
“No Ban, No Wall”: Protecting LGBTQ Immigrants In A Repressive Climate
- Muslim Alliance for Sexual and Gender Diversity issued statements on several recent political events including the Trump Administration’s “Muslim Ban”, the Obama Administration’s Action to Dismantle NSEERS, and the 2016 shooting at Pulse in Orlando, Florida.
- This Center for American Progress analysis describes how ICE Officers Overwhelmingly Use Their Discretion to Detain LGBT Immigrants.